• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tendonitis? Carpal Tunnel? Ruptured Tendon?

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
I have a serious problem that is not getting better.

I have rheumatoid arthritis (this isn't the problem I am addressing). I got cortisone injections in 6 of my joints last December, including both my wrists, the left being the most inflamed. I got a lot better, and started going to physical therapy.

My physical therapist immediately started vigorously stretching my wrists, outward, upward and downward after heating them up. My second session of that, he was stretching it, pushing my hand upward, when I feel a painful snap in my hand. It does not go away.

Along with the snap is a marked weakness in using the fingers of that hand. Since then, it has just gotten gradually worse. My grip strength is almost non existent in that hand. The same feeling of spindly pain associated with a loss of strength has traveled up my forearm and is now beginning to affect my bicep.

I know the feeling is subjective, but it feels like the tendon has become detached somehow.

Tendonitis?
Tendonitis sufferers complain of a "burning" pain, which I do not have. Also, they have inflammation around where it hurts, whereas I don't.

Carpal Tunnel?
Well, it's traveled up to my bicep. Also, I don't have any of the nervy symptoms associated with carpal, such as tingling and loss of sensation.

Ruptured Tendon?
This is what I fear. But why is it traveling?

What do I do? What is it? I am desperate for answers, as I am a pianist and a drummer, and creating music is ... my life.

Get an MRI asap, some tendon ruptures need to be treated quickly or the long term prognosis gets not very good. Some tendon ruptures get better over time and dont need surgery. It sounds like a tendon rupture to me. I would seriously get an MRI.

And this is why I would never get a cortisone treatment as anything other then a last resort. They dont just get rid of inflammation they also weaken tendons.

Last edited: